Ministers of The Word
Download Ministers of The Word Schedule
REMINDER: Please remember to obtain a substitute for yourself if unable to read at a mass for which you are scheduled.
TIMELY ARRIVAL: Please be present at least fifteen minutes before the hour for which you are scheduled to read to ensure adequate preparation on the part of all involved in the mass.
- As a lector you have a special place in the liturgical action. Please dress in such a way that you reflect the importance of your ministry. Casual dress is not recommended.
- Prepare for your scheduled scripture passage during the week prior to the Mass at which you read. Please use your Living With Christ missals or the Workbook for Lectors and Gospel Readers (if you have one).
- If for reasons beyond your control you cannot make your scheduled reading time, it is your own responsibility to call in a replacement.
- Please be present at least ten to fifteen minutes before the hour for which you are scheduled to read in order to ensure adequate preparation on the part of all involved in the mass.
- When you gather to prepare yourselves for reading, remember that this is special time to further reflect on what the readings are about. Please do not use this time to socialize.
- Check for any special instructions or protocols for the day’s Mass before you begin your ministry on that day.
- Ensure that replacements are present for any absentee readers.
- Check lectionary prior to the start of Mass to ensure that it is marked for the correct Sunday.
- Confirm prior to Mass that there is a copy of the prayers of the faithful near where the lectionary is found.
- Adjust the microphone position prior to starting your reading so as to achieve the best delivery.
- Be ready in procession with the Priest(s), Deacon, and Altar Servers at least five minutes before the scheduled start of the Mass.
- When you arrive at the ambo for your reading, pause briefly before you begin, to ensure that the congregation is settled and ready to listen.
- When reading, take your time, pause at appropriate moments to allow for ease of understanding, and make occasional eye contact with the congregation.
- Pause briefly following the conclusion of your reading to allow for listener reflection.
- Return to your seat at an appropriate break in the order of the Mass.
NB: All those in ministries in our parish must attend Saturday/Sunday mass on a regular basis. Please consider not being a lector if you cannot fulfil this requirement.